Monday, August 4, 2008

Regarding the Fakeness of Sequels

Tad writes:
Dear moviesarefake:

I am wondering if sequels of fake movies are also fake by definition. It seems to me that they should be. And likewise, if a movie is not-fake, any sequels of that movie would also be fake.

Can you please let me know if this is true? And if so, could you please hurry up and review one of the Star Trek movies? I'm very anxious for you to do this, because my entire life is based upon my conviction that Star Trek is real, and it would be nice if I knew for sure, so I'll know whether to try to get my money back from my Star Trek Convention registration.

Desperately,

Tad Thzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............................................
(via the internet)

Dear Tad, I know your letter is fake because I can see that you do not even know how to spell your own last name. But the question, however, is worth discussing.

The short answer to your question is, unfortunately, that rule does not hold true: Sequels of fake movies are not necessarily fake.

To prove this, let's turn it around. Suppose you told a story about your life one day, like how you bought every possible type of TV dinner and watched every single episode of Star Trek in sequence without leaving the house, answering the telephone or even taking a shower. Then the next day, you tell another story about your life, about the time Jessica Simpson kept calling you on the phone, crying and begging you to please oh please just go out with her just once, until you finally relented. The second story is obviously fake, but the first one is obviously real. This proves that it is possible to tell one true story, but have a sequel be fake.

Now note that if you had told the second story before actually telling the first, even though the first one occurred several days earlier, it doesn't change anything. You are still a Star Trek wacko.

This proves irrefutably that sequels of fake movies could possibly be non-fake, as well as prequels. For example, just because "The Empire Strikes Back" may be fake (I don't know yet, I haven't done the exhaustive analysis) doesn't mean that "Attack of the Clones" isn't fake, and likewise, even if "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is fake, that doesn't mean that "Patriot Games" is not fake.

So, good news and bad news. The bad news is you will have to wait for me to analyze every single Star Trek movie, which is likely to never, ever happen. The good news is, you still have hope that one or more of them may not be fake! So keep reading and chin up. The bottom line is, we must definitively prove the fakeness of each and every movie ever made to demonstrate that all movies are fake. And it is my mission to do so, until every movie has been analyzed, or until I get bored. Carry on!